We use modern biochemical and biophysical methods to study the structures, interactions and biological functions of biomedically important RNA and protein molecules. Current topics include mechanisms of bacterial antibiotic resistance that arise through ribosomal RNA modification and non-coding RNA-mediated pathogen evasion of host cell innate immune responses.
Interested in joining the Conn Lab? Graduate students in the Conn lab are typically enrolled in the BCDB and MMG Programs. Prospective applicants may contact Dr. Conn but should apply directly to the programs for admission. Interested postdocs, undergraduates, volunteers and other visitors should see here for current openings and how to apply.
Our research is currently funded by NIH/NIAID grant R01-AI088025 and an award from the Emory University Research Council (URC).
Congratulations to BCDB graduate student Sam Schwartz who received a 3-year Achievement Reward for College Students (ARCS) Award in 2017. Sam is pictured at a recent ARCS Foundation event with her sponsor Mrs. Leslie Petter.
Congratulations to BCDB graduate students Zane Laughlin (above) and Sam Schwartz on their successful poster presentations at the 2018 Emory Division Student Advisory Council (DSAC) symposium.
- March 2018, Funding News: Postdoc Debayan Dey is awarded a postdoctoral fellowship from the CF Foundation to start in summer 2018. Way to go Deb!
- April 2018, Exam Success: BCDB student Zane Laughlin passes his BCDB Part 2 Qualification Exam. Congratulations Zane!!
- April 2018, Funding News: The Conn and Wuest (Dept. Chemistry, Emory) labs are awarded an Emory Synergy II grant for a new collaborative project on the aminoglycoside-resistance methyltransferases.
- May 2018, Travel Award: Congratulations to BCDB student Sam Schwartz for her award of a Travel Fellowship to attend and present a poster at the 2018 RNA Society Meeting in Berkeley, CA.
- June 2018, New Lab Member: Esther Park joins the lab as a Research Specialist – welcome Esther!!
- June 2018, Funding News: BCDB student Zane Laughlin is appointed to Emory’s NIH T32-funded “Antimicrobial Resistance and Therapeutic Discovery Training Program” (ARTDTP). Congrats, Zane!!
- July 2018, New Lab Member: Sarah Strassler joins the lab for a summer rotation ahead of joining the BCDB graduate program in the Fall – welcome Sarah!!
- July 2018, New Lab Member: Paige LaMore joins the lab as a Research Specialist. Welcome, Paige!
- August 2018, Funding News: Graeme’s MPI R01 grant application for a collaborative project on tRNA modification with Dr. Jane Jackman at The Ohio State University is funded by NIH/ NIGMS.
- August 2018, Paper accepted: Former BCDB graduate student Brenda Calderon's paper on activation of OAS1 by the cellular non-coding RNA nc886 is accepted for publication in J. Biol. Chem. Congrats Brenda!