We use modern biochemical and biophysical methods to study the structures, interactions and biological functions of biomedically important RNA and protein molecules. Current topics include mechanisms of bacterial antibiotic resistance that arise through ribosomal RNA modification and non-coding RNA-mediated pathogen evasion of host cell innate immune responses.
Interested in joining the Conn Lab? Graduate students in the Conn lab are typically enrolled in the BCDB and MMG Programs. Prospective applicants may contact Dr. Conn but should apply directly to the programs for admission. Interested postdocs, undergraduates, volunteers and other visitors should see here for current openings and how to apply.
Our research is currently funded by NIH/NIAID grant R01-AI088025 and an award from the Emory University Research Council (URC).
Congratulations to Emily Kuiper who defended her PhD thesis in July 2016! Emily is pictured below with former Graduate Division Director Dr. Keith Wilkinson receiving her award for the BCDB Graduate Program Scholar of the Year for 2015.
Congratulations to Brenda Calderon who received a 3-year Achievement Reward for College Students (ARCS) Award in August 2015. Brenda (right) is pictured at a recent ARCS Foundation event with her sponsor Mrs. Jane Dolinger.
- December 2016, Moving On: Dr. Emily Kuiper leaves the lab to start her postdoctoral fellowship with Dr. Wayne A. Marasco’s group at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. Good luck Emily!
- February 2017, Paper Published: A paper on the Mycobacterium tuberculosis methyltransferase TlyA by former lab members and co-first authors Emily Kuiper and Marta Witek is published in the J. Biol. Chem. RNA.
- April 2017, Paper Published: Brenda Calderon’s paper on the human non-coding RNA 886 (nc886) and PKR is published in the April issue of RNA. Congrats Brenda!
- April 2017, Funding News: The lab is awarded an Emory University Research (URC) grant to continue their work on RNA regulation of 2’,5’-oligoadenylate synthetase 1 (OAS1).
- May 2017, New Lab Member: Postdoc Meisam Nosrati joins the lab – welcome Meisam!
- May 2017, Presentations: Brenda Calderon presents her work on the cellular non-coding RNA nc886 at the ASBMB meeting in Chicago, in both the post and oral sessions.
- May 2017, Paper Published: Kellie Vinal's paper on the molecular mechanism of 30S recognition by the pathogen-associated aminoglycoside-resistance methyltransferase NpmA is published in Antimicrob Agents Chemother. Congrats Kellie!